Raven the Kitchen Witch's South African Sweet Potato Stew (vegan and fix-approved!)


Raven the Kitchen Witch's South African Sweet Potato Stew (vegan and fix-approved!)

Hey there friends! Raven here, and today's blog is recipe-focused. This evening I meal prepped and while I did I was thinking about all the recipes I used to make that I haven't made since I switched over to clean eating. Many of them I simply cannot have but there are plenty of meals that I can 'tweak' to make as unprocessed and healthy for us as possible. Today's recipe is South African Sweet Potato Stew - "Fixate Style" (meaning I changed a few ingredients so they'd be 21 Day Fix Approved. Not sure what 21 Day Fix is? Please don't hesitate to contact me, and I'll share my experiences!) But without further adieu, here is one of my favorite slow-cooker recipes.



Prep Time: 15 minutes

Minutes to Cook: 480

Number of Servings: 8

Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly



Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped

2 jalapenos (or to taste, I love spicy), seeded and chopped

2 teaspoons minced or powdered ginger

2-3 cloves minced garlic

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 tsp sea salt or (pink) Himalayan salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground coriander

3 cups water or vegetable broth

2.5 lbs sweet potatoes (approximately 6 medium sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks

2 14.5 ounce cans drained chopped tomatoes. Must be organic, no salt added.

1 14.5 ounce can of drained chickpeas (also organic, no salt added, if cannot find no sodium, try bagged chickpeas instead of canned. The goal is to go preservative-free and low sodium).

1 pound fresh green beans

1/4 cup organic peanut butter (to taste, can be more)

1 bunch cilantro (we usually omit the cilantro when we make this recipe as most of the people in my home do not like cilantro).



Directions

Place chopped onion, chopped jalapenos and all seasonings with 3 cups of water or veggie broth in crock pot over medium heat. Then chop sweet potatoes.

Add sweet potatoes, drained tomatoes, drained chickpeas, and peanut butter and mix well. Cook over medium heat until done, 4-6 hours on medium to low heat. May be left in crock pot for hours. (On stove top, bring to a boil, then simmer until done). Add additional water as needed.

15 minutes prior to serving, add green beans and half a cup chopped cilantro and mix. Servings are 1.5 cups. (PS: If you'd like to add some protein into the dish, chicken is a great source and is tasty in this type of stew!)  I am guessing at containers here but with an educated guess I would say one serving is 2 yellow, 1 tsp, 1 green, 1/2 purple. I am only counting the purple due to the tomatoes. Let me know if you try this recipe and like it, or how you tweaked it to make it taste the best to you! Shine on ~

Comments